Applicants will first submit an application to register for the theory examination to the board office. Applicants MUST provide a valid email address in order to schedule the theory examination location, date, and time.
Theory scheduling will be completed by the applicant after applying with the board office. The applicant will be provided a link via email following submission of their application to schedule the specific location, date, and time that is convenient for the applicant.
Applicants must pass the theory examination before application and fee for the practical examination may be submitted for scheduling.
Theory Candidate Information Bulletins (CIB) list sample questions for each license discipline.
After successful completion of the theory examination, applicants must submit the examination application and fee to be scheduled for the practical examination. Applicants must indicate a testing center location. Applicants practical examination scheduling will be completed by the applicant after applying with the board office. The applicant will be provided a link via email following submission of their application to schedule the specific location, date, and time that is convenient for the applicant.
Theory Examinations are held in multiple locations with dates and times that are specific to each location. The testing centers determine the schedule for their facility. Board staff cannot provide an applicant with a theory testing center's schedule.
All practical applications for any month must be in the office ten (10) working days prior to the beginning practical examination date (deadline date), exclusive of Saturday, Sunday, and holidays. Notification of the examination date and time the applicant is to appear for examination will be emailed to the applicant after the applicant registers.
* Applicants must report to the practical examination wearing solid colored, non-white scrubs with no identifying information visible.
* Applicants requiring a mannequin stand for the examination must bring a clamp style mannequin stand with them to the facility, these will no longer be provided. Telescoping mannequin stands will not be allowed in the examination!
* Applicants sitting for the Nail Technician examination will need to bring disposable absorbant pads or towels to cover the the work station while providing services to protect the surfaces from the acrylic being used.
* All suggested supplies lists and examination information is listed in the NIC Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) links provided. Additional information can be found at www.nictesting.org.
* Applications and fees for the Theory and Practical examination MUST be submitted separately. NO Application will be accepted that is marked for both examinations nor received with fees for both the theory and practical!
* Examination Scores will be emailed to the candidate within 5 days of completion of the examination. Examination scores WILL NOT be provided at the testing facility and WILL NOT be verified or released over the phone.
Examination dates are subject to change at the Board’s discretion.
Dates listed below are ONLY for the Practical Examinations and will be held on the same date in all 4 regional locations listed on the exam application (an additional day may be added in a region if needed).