Examination Instructions, Rules and Policies - Simulated disinfectant is prohibited
- Kentucky schools have 10 days to graduate you from their program.
- Allow a minimum of 20 days for this information to be submitted to the board from the date you graduated.
- PSI can take an additional two weeks to upload your eligibility information.
- Always check your spam folder in your email prior to contacting the Kentucky State Board.
- Do not attempt to register for an examination without a proper approved registration email provided from PSI.
- If you have not received a PSI registration email but are eligible for examinations and have allowed your school and the board enough time to process your eligibility please contact us at email@example.com with the following: Legal name, DOB, last 4 of SSN, permit number, contact phone number, home or PO Box mailing address & current email address to verify your account.
Kentucky license expired over 5 years requires an examination
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your legal name, DOB, last 4 of SSN, contact phone number, home or PO Box mailing address & current email address
- If your name has changed, you are required to email your new government photo ID along with your marriage certificate/divorce decree prior to registration or you will not be permitted into the examination.
If you have received your registration email from PSI please follow these instructions:
- Please go to https://test-takers.psiexams.com
- Click on “FIND YOUR TEST”
- Click on “Barber & Cosmetology”
- Locate your State and Industry – click that
- At the top right, click “Sign In / Create Account”
- After logging in, click on “MANAGE” at the top and you can continue from there.
Dates and locations will be available on the PSI portal upon completion of registration with vendor
Examination dates are subject to change at the Board’s discretion.
Applicants must pass the theory examination before application and fee for the practical examination may be submitted for scheduling.
Theory Examinations are held in multiple locations with dates and times that are specific to each location. The testing centers determine the schedule for their facility. Board staff cannot provide an applicant with a theory testing center's schedule.
To purchase the theory practice examinations from the test vendor visit:
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR ALL KBC PRACTICAL EXAMINATIONS
- You must provide TWO (2) forms of original, valid, and current- expired items will not be accepted. One item MUST be state government photo ID additional items may include a passport or national identity card, Social Security Card, bank card, etc.
- Applicant shall wear a full set of solid color medical scrubs. White colored scrubs or other clothing is prohibited.
- EPA registered bactericidal, virucidal, and fungicidal disinfectant and hand sanitizer are required to sit for the practical exam. All three properties shall be display on the manufacturers label. No sprays or aerosols.
- Mannequin Head is required – no name shall be visible of the student or school.
- Mannequin Hand is required – stuffed gloves or individual fingers are prohibited.
- Monomer (if required for exam) a complete manufacturer label listing all ingredients including the type of methacrylate, manufacturer labeled odorless, and complete and intact manufacturers safety seals are required.
- If the requirements are not met the candidate will be dismissed and required to reschedule for a future test.
- NO electronic items are permitted such as cell phones, smartwatches/Fitbit, digital sound recorders, mp3 players, cameras etc. in the examination room during the exam.
- DO NOT DISTRUB – candidates who become disruptive at any time will be required to leave the center and reschedule their examination.
LATE ARRIVALS WILL BE REQUIRED TO RESCHEDULE AND PAY A NEW FEE!
If these requirements cannot be met, you will not be permitted into the examination room and you will be required to reschedule for your exam.
Practical examinations are administered at the following locations:
Lawrenceburg (Every Monday -Cosmetology, Esthetics, and Nail Technician)MAP
Paintsville (Every 2nd Monday of the month- Cosmetology)MAP
Madisonville (Every 3rd Monday of the month- Cosmetology)MAP
NOTICE FOR MADISONVILLE EXAMS - Instructions from the center
The new examination room is located in the Education Building instead of Brown Badgett. Room EC-326. When you come in from
the parking lot, you are on the 2nd floor. There are steps or an elevator just down the hall. The bathrooms are close to the classroom-all in the newest building on