To transfer to KY as an out of state applicant with endorsement credentials from another state you must:
- Have certification sent from the transferring state directly to KBC digitally. **This document must come from the state agency- never the applicant**.
- Complete an out of state transfer application- the link to a typeable form is located on the right of this page.
- Mail a completed application along with all support documents and the $100 fee to the board office.
- Once transfer application is processed you will be emailed an approval notice along with either:
- An initial license application;
- An exam notice; or
- A notice of additional educational requirements.
- Minimum education requirements are:
- Cosmetology-1500 hours and a 12th grade equivalence.
- Esthetics- 750 hours and a 12th grade equivalence.
- Nail Technician- 450 hours and a 12th grade equivalence.
- Instructor- 1 year of individual licensure, 750 hours, and a 12th grade equivalence.
- Education deficiencies may be substituted if license has been held for more than 2 years.
Credential evaluation of license comparability is at the discretion of the board.
If you receive a license application it will need to be submitted, with all support items, and a $50 license fee to the board office.
If you receive an exam notice you will need to register using the email from test vendor and complete the theory and practical exams to be eligible to apply for a license.
All fees must be paid with a cashier's check or money order- DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE MAIL!
You may NOT provide services in KY until you receive a license verification email, or a physical license issued by KBC in the mail.
Endorsement fees are non-refundable regardless of license eligibility.
All applications may take up to 30 days to process once received in the board office
We are unable to track license applications
If you require tracking, please purchase that with the mail carrier service used.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS OR APPLICATIONS MISSING REQUIRED ITEMS WILL BE RETURNED IN FULL FOR ADJUSTMENT AND RE-SUBMISSION